Saturday, December 11, 2010

Sassy Saturday Tips, Tricks, and Tutorials...

If you are looking for the Tuesday Takes #3 Challenge, please click here.
If you are looking for the Thursday Takes # 27 Challenge, please click here.
Hi everyone! It's my (Stacy) turn to share a tutorial with you this week! :)

Flowers have been something that I love on my cards, and they're so pretty when it's handmade! Hope you'd like this flower tutorial... :)

Here's what you'll need:
Fabrics
Scissors
Punched Circle cardstock
Or in my case, I used a card from the magazine which is thick enough to act as my template. Size of the circle doesn't really matter, I am happy to work with 3" but don't go too small else you'd have problems with fraying fabrics and tangles...2 - 5" should be ideal.
Needle
I used a long needle so that it's easier for me.
Thread
I used the DMC thread because it's thicker and I feel more secured... Try to choose a colour that is similar to the fabric that you're using so that the threads would not show.
Sewing Machine
if you have one. It is faster! I use sewing machine normally..

=====(^^)=====

Here are the steps for the fabric flower:

Step 1: Use the circle template and cut the fabric to circles shape.

Step 2: Cut the circles into halves. (Semi-circle)


Step 3: Fold one semi circle into halve, let the wrong side face outwards.

Step 4: Sew the straight edge with the back stitch.
(Or simply use the sewing machine)



Step 5:
At the very last, tie a knot and thread it towards the centre.

Then cut the thread, this helps to keep the unwanted thread inside and unseen.


Step 6:
Flip the quadrant inside out.
Make sure that the tip / corner is pushed outwards and pointed.


Step 7:
Repeat the above procedure for the number of petals you'd like to have.
I am doing a 5 petals flower, hence I made 5 of such...

Step 8:
On the curved edge, do the wavy stitch
(I don't know what is the exact name of this stitch, hopefully the pictures can tell you what I meant.)
Basically just go into the fabric and out and continue this until the very end.
Just try to keep the gap between the stitches even.


Step 9:
Continue onto the next petal.
Finish all 5 petals (or as many as you'll be doing...)



Step 10:
Push the petals towards the end, leaving a 15cm string...
Leave enough thread so you can tie the 2 ends of the string together.


Step 11:
Tie the two ends of the string (double knot)
Viola!



Step 12:
Sew a button in the centre to decorate it. If you are worried if the flower will sag and stuff, just cut a small circle from cardstock and attach it to the back in the centre of the flower.

=====(^^)=====

Keen enough to start this? Pick up any scraps of fabric and try your hand on this... It's not that difficult. (For your information, I finished doing this within 30 mins including the time I spent taking photos and talking to my colleague!) So it's fairly reasonable time spent.

Here's a project using the flower:


Instead of using a button at the middle, I attached another small flower to it. It is pretty sturdy and you can make use of scraps of cloth. Good luck with the flowers, and hope you like it! :)


Blessings,

8 comments:

  1. What a fab tutorial! Thanks, I'll be giving this a go!!!
    Hugs
    Dawn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness I have to type a response because my jaw just dropped and I can't get it back up yet!

    Oh! My! Wooooowwwwwww!!!!!! I have wanted to know how to make this specific flower for months! Christmas just arrived early for me. Thank you for this amazing tutorial! So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness these are fabulous! I have so much fabric and love the way they look. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love making my own flowers, too. great job on the tutorial it's very detailed. i will definitely try making this own thanks for the inspiration.

    hugs,
    isay

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful flower and great tutorial!! Will be trying this out for sure!!! TFS!!! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow- thanks for posting this wonderful tutorial, those flowers are gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic tutorial! Thanks for sharing, I'll be trying this out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this flower tute! I am going to have to make some of these!
    barb :)

    ReplyDelete

The Mavens and I appreciate you stopping by to leave some love and for your scraptastic entry!